By Billy Graham Abel, Yola
Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have attacked Gaya community in Hong Local Government Area of Adamawa State, killing a police inspector and seven civilians.
The attack, which occurred on Monday night, also left two houses burnt, according to the Chairman of Hong Local Government Area, Alhaji Aliyu Sa’ad.
Sa’ad, who confirmed the incident in an exclusive telephone interview with The Sun on Tuesday, said the attackers invaded the community at night and launched a deadly assault on two houses.
He said, “The attackers came on the night of Monday and launched a bloody attack on two houses, burnt the houses and killed one police officer and seven civilians during the attack.”
The chairman said security forces had since been deployed to the community in a bid to track down the attackers and prevent further attacks.
According to him, personnel of the military, police, hunters and other security agencies were involved in the search operation.
However, the Adamawa State Police Command gave a lower initial casualty figure, saying five bodies had so far been recovered from the scene.
The command’s spokesperson, SP Suleiman Nguroje, confirmed the attack, saying four civilians and a police inspector were among the bodies recovered after the attackers left the community.
“The report we received from the area is that on Monday night, dead bodies of five people were recovered, four civilians and an inspector of police, after the attackers left.
“We are still waiting for an update, since troops have been deployed with all the security agencies, including vigilante and hunters, to hunt for the attackers,” Nguroje said.
The police spokesperson said the command would provide further details as soon as more information became available.
“If there is any new development concerning the attack, I will surely contact you for a detailed briefing,” he added.
The latest attack has heightened concerns over the security situation in Hong Local Government Area, which has witnessed repeated attacks linked to insurgency in recent months.
Residents in communities around the area have continued to face threats from suspected insurgents operating in the wider region bordering the Sambisa Forest.
Sa’ad also expressed concern over the delay in the take-off of the proposed military barracks at Garaha, a strategic location near one of the routes reportedly used by insurgents accessing the Sambisa Forest.
He said the commencement of operations at the proposed military facility would strengthen security and improve the response to attacks in the area.
Security agencies were, however, said to be intensifying efforts to locate the attackers and restore calm to the affected community.
Hong Local Government Area is also the home of two former Secretaries to the Government of the Federation.

Follow Us on Google
