Xenophobic attacks: Refugees face trespass charge for moving into UN office

Enugu State

Refugees who had been protesting at the offices of the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) in South Africa’s capital, Pretoria, are facing a charge of trespassing.

They have been camping outside the offices since 7 October, demanding to be sent to other countries because they fear xenophobic violence in South Africa. A case of trespassing was opened on Thursday after a group, some of whom say they are asylum seekers, moved into the offices of the UN agency illegally.

On Wednesday, a court order had been granted instructing the refugees to vacate the area within three days.  Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi told parliament that the refugees had refused to be taken to their countries of origin.

“They don’t want to go there, they want to go to another country and that is Canada, nothing more or less,” the minister said. The refugees, who had been living on pavements and in makeshift tents numbering about 300, said they did not want to be reintegrated into local communities because they feared xenophobic attacks.

NEWS UPDATE: Nigerians can now earn as much as $15,000-$25,000 with premium domains. You decide if you want payment in Naira or US Dollars. Be sure to ask for evidence and proof of people benefitting daily from this. CLICK HERE TO START

Breaking news & top stories

Stay connected with The Sun Newspaper

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and live updates delivered straight to your phone. Join thousands of readers already following us on Whatsapp Channel and Telegram.

Breaking news & top stories

Follow The Sun Newspaper

Get live updates & exclusive stories delivered straight to your phone.