Ndume urges military to rescue abducted Mussa, Lassa school children

WhatsApp Image 2026-08-20 at 6.27.20 PM
Enugu State

From Adesuwa Tsan, Abuja

Former Senate Leader, Ali Ndume, has urged the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to rescue school children and other victims abducted by insurgents in Mussa and Lassa communities in Southern Borno.

Ndume, who represents Borno South in the Senate, made the appeal during a visit to the Theatre Command, North East “Operation Hadin Kai,” where he met with the Theatre Commander, Major General Abdulsalam Abubakar.

No fewer than 42 pupils were abducted from Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School in Mussa in May, while another 36 students and a teacher were abducted in June when insurgents attacked Government Day Secondary School, Lassa, in Askira/Uba Local Government Area.

According to a statement from Ndume’s media office on Thursday, the former chairman of the Senate Committee on Army commended the military for its sustained efforts in combating insurgency and restoring relative peace across Borno State.

However, he urged the military to redouble its efforts to locate the abducted victims and secure their safe return to their families.

Ndume said his appeal should not be misconstrued as an indictment of the military, but as part of his responsibility as a representative of the affected communities to draw attention to the plight of his constituents and demand action where necessary.

“We know you are making efforts, but because of the anxiety we all share and the length of time these people have remained away from their families, I have to continue to push for greater effort,” he stated, adding that “the people are anxious, and the families are waiting. We appreciate what the military is doing, but we will continue to appeal for greater efforts until our people are reunited with their families.”

Ndume also acknowledged the improvement in the security situation in Borno, attributing the gains to the sacrifices of officers and soldiers operating across the theatre.

He commended the coordination and synergy among the military and other security agencies, describing it as a major factor behind the progress recorded in the fight against insurgency.

The former Senate Leader urged the military to sustain the momentum and intensify operations to locate and safely reunite all remaining abductees with their families.

Responding, Abubakar thanked Ndume for the visit and assured him that the concerns raised over the victims still in insurgents’ captivity had been noted.

He reiterated the commitment of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies to ongoing operations aimed at protecting communities, stabilising affected areas and ensuring the safe return of residents displaced by years of insurgency.

The Theatre Commander attributed the
successes recorded in the North-East to the support of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Waidi Shaibu, whom he said has a deep understanding of the operational environment in the region.

Abubakar further assured that the military would expand its presence in vulnerable areas through the establishment of new formations, deployment of additional troops and strengthening of existing sectors.

As part of measures to boost security in Southern Borno and adjoining areas of Adamawa State, the Theatre Commander disclosed that about 1,000 youths from Southern Borno, mostly from Gwoza Local Government Area, would be recruited into the military.

NEWS UPDATE: Nigerians can now earn as much as $15,000-$25,000 with premium domains. You decide if you want payment in Naira or US Dollars. Be sure to ask for evidence and proof of people benefitting daily from this. CLICK HERE TO START

Breaking news & top stories

Stay connected with The Sun Newspaper

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and live updates delivered straight to your phone. Join thousands of readers already following us on Whatsapp Channel and Telegram.

Breaking news & top stories

Follow The Sun Newspaper

Get live updates & exclusive stories delivered straight to your phone.

Breaking news & top stories

Stay connected with The Sun Newspaper

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and live updates delivered straight to your phone. Join thousands of readers already following us on Whatsapp Channel and Telegram.

Enugu State