From Juliana Taiwo-Obalonye, Abuja
Media aide to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, Lere Olayinka, has faulted lawyer and social commentator, Deji Adeyanju, over his criticism of the minister following flooding in parts of Abuja after Saturday’s heavy rainfall.
Olayinka said Adeyanju’s comments amounted to an attempt to politicise a longstanding problem, insisting that flooding in the Federal Capital Territory predates Wike’s tenure as minister.
Adeyanju had, in posts on his verified X handle, accused Wike of “destroying Abuja”, alleging that parts of the capital had become “stinking and flooded” as a result of what he described as “one man’s greed”.
He also questioned the alleged allocation of canals and waterways to politicians for estate development, citing flooding in Maitama and other parts of the capital.
Responding on Monday, however, Olayinka challenged Adeyanju to explain why similar flooding incidents recorded in Abuja before Wike assumed office were not attributed to the minister.
The minister’s aide recalled that heavy rainfall caused flooding in parts of Wuse, Jabi and Lokogoma in 2019, while similar incidents were recorded in Lokogoma, Efab Estate, Gudu and adjoining bridges in 2022.
“Sad reality is that Abuja has been witnessing floods long before Wike assumed office,” Olayinka said.
He said Saturday’s flooding was another indication of the pressure being placed on the capital’s infrastructure by the rapid expansion of the city.
According to him, the expansion of Abuja has outpaced existing drainage infrastructure, waste management systems and enforcement of planning regulations in some areas.
Other News
He also attributed part of the problem to the activities of scavengers who, he alleged, remove drainage covers and leave the channels exposed to refuse, thereby contributing to blockages.
Olayinka said the FCT Administration was taking measures to address the problem, including a review of the 1979 Abuja Master Plan to reflect the current realities of the capital.
He added that the administration was also introducing drainage covers designed to make them more difficult for scavengers to remove.
The minister’s aide therefore dismissed Adeyanju’s criticism of Wike as an oversimplification of the challenges confronting a rapidly expanding capital city.
Olayinka also criticised Adeyanju’s understanding of urban planning and infrastructure management, describing him as an “online baseless lawyer”.
He accused the lawyer of inconsistency, recalling his alleged past defence of a property developer who, according to him, constructed a school and church on land designated for recreational purposes.
Olayinka said Adeyanju had previously defended the development despite the alleged deviation from the approved land-use purpose.
He maintained that the recurring flooding required attention to the structural challenges confronting Abuja, including inadequate drainage capacity, indiscriminate disposal of waste, development around waterways and enforcement of planning regulations.
According to him, the latest flooding should not be presented as evidence that Wike had destroyed Abuja, but as an indication of the need to upgrade the capital’s infrastructure and planning systems in line with its rapid growth.
The exchange between Olayinka and Adeyanju comes amid renewed debate over drainage infrastructure, development around waterways and enforcement of the Abuja Master Plan following Saturday’s heavy rainfall.

Follow Us on Google
