By Chidera Okekearu
The Nigerian Navy has rescued 22 passengers following the hijacking of a wooden passenger boat along the Calabar–Oron–Ibaka waterway in Akwa Ibom State and recovered the vessel from suspected sea robbers.
The operation was carried out by personnel of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Ibaka, in collaboration with Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) Sector 4 and the Marine Police, following the attack on August 11, 2026.
The passenger boat was reportedly travelling from Henshaw Town Beach in Calabar to Utan Uyata, Ibaka, when it was intercepted by armed sea robbers shortly after passing Enwang community.
The criminals reportedly hijacked the vessel and abducted the passengers. Following information about the incident, personnel of FOB Ibaka, working with the collaborating security agencies, launched a coordinated operation to locate the victims and recover the hijacked boat.
The operation resulted in the recovery of the vessel and the rescue of 11 victims who had been abandoned by the suspected criminals at Asak-Ikang Creek.
Other News
Another 11 passengers who escaped during the attack were subsequently located and accounted for at the OPDS Sector 4 command post, bringing the total number of rescued and accounted-for victims to 22.
The rescued passengers were taken to the FOB Ibaka Sickbay for medical assessment and first aid before arrangements were made for their safe return to Calabar with the recovered boat.
The Nigerian Navy said no ransom was paid for the release of the victims. The Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Naval Command, Rear Admiral Chidozie Okehie, reaffirmed the Navy’s commitment to sustaining robust maritime security operations and strengthening collaboration with other security agencies.
Okehie also stressed the importance of timely intelligence in denying criminal elements freedom of action along Nigeria’s waterways.
He said the successful operation demonstrated the Navy’s determination to protect lives, safeguard legitimate maritime activities and maintain a secure maritime environment.
The Eastern Naval Command, he added, would continue to sustain coordinated operations with sister security agencies and other stakeholders to combat sea robbery, kidnapping and other forms of maritime criminality across the nation’s waterways.

Follow Us on Google
