Governor Adeleke’s convoy ‘attacked’ by hoodlums amid gunshots

Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke

Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke

Enugu State

Gunmen suspected to be hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.

The shooting lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, according to an eyewitness, as Adeleke’s security team engaged the attackers before they fled the area.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after collecting his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo following his re-election.

The governor reportedly presented the certificate to the monarch during the visit.

The eyewitness, who spoke with newsmen on condition of anonymity, said the attack began shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch had offered prayers.

She said Adeleke had already entered the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when the gunshots started.

“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots.

“Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she said.

A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers might have received information about Adeleke’s visit and waited for his arrival. She said they damaged the palace’s main gate during the attack.

“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus.

“They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.

“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road,” she said.

The incident triggered panic in the area, forcing traders and residents to abandon their businesses and run to safety as the shooting continued.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

As of 4:45pm, sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, while several business owners had shut their shops amid fears of further violence.

NEWS UPDATE: Nigerians can now earn as much as $15,000-$25,000 with premium domains. You decide if you want payment in Naira or US Dollars. Be sure to ask for evidence and proof of people benefitting daily from this. CLICK HERE TO START

Breaking news & top stories

Stay connected with The Sun Newspaper

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and live updates delivered straight to your phone. Join thousands of readers already following us on Whatsapp Channel and Telegram.

Breaking news & top stories

Follow The Sun Newspaper

Get live updates & exclusive stories delivered straight to your phone.

Breaking news & top stories

Stay connected with The Sun Newspaper

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and live updates delivered straight to your phone. Join thousands of readers already following us on Whatsapp Channel and Telegram.

Enugu State