The Federal Government and the Lagos State Police Command have declared war on vandals targeting the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, with 39 suspects arrested for alleged vandalism, theft and other criminal activities along the multi-billion-naira project.
The arrests came as the government raised the alarm over the large-scale destruction and theft of critical infrastructure along the coastal corridor, including about 1,800 manhole covers, one kilometre of perimeter fencing and 75 directional road signs.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, CP Fatai Tijani, disclosed this yesterday at a joint press briefing with the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olufemi Dare, who represented the Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi.
Tijani said the arrests were made during intelligence-led operations carried out across the state in August, with the police recovering vandalised iron materials, locally made firearms, ammunition, dangerous weapons and other exhibits.
According to him, 10 suspects were arrested on August 17 in connection with the repeated vandalism of the newly constructed coastal road.
He said the suspects were allegedly involved in the theft of iron materials from the project, adding that the command had commenced investigations to uncover the wider network behind the activities, including those receiving the stolen materials.
“We are trying to get to the root of the matter. We are working seriously to ensure that we get the receivers,” Tijani said.
Giving details of the August 17 operation, the commissioner said the suspects arrested were Courage Ogbemudiah, 19; Michael Janes, 25; Muhammed Mustapha, 25; Muyideen Ola, 32; Emmanuel James, 18; Tadious Nanius, 28; Anthony Nucase, 23; Makinde Muize, 30; Bolaji Raji, 30; and Waliu Kabiru, 28.
He said vandalised iron materials were recovered during the operation, adding that preliminary investigations indicated that the suspects were linked to the incessant vandalism of the coastal road infrastructure.
“The suspects have also made statements regarding their alleged involvement in the offence,” he said.
Tijani warned that the police would not stop at arresting those found vandalising the highway, stressing that efforts were ongoing to identify and apprehend the receivers and other members of the criminal network.
The commissioner also said the command had intensified operations against vandals and other criminals targeting critical infrastructure, particularly along the Coastal Road and Third Mainland Bridge.
“Throughout the month of August, our officers and men across various formations have continued to respond swiftly to credible information, carry out targeted operations and disrupt criminal activities in different parts of the state,” he said.
He said the operations had led to the arrest of suspects involved in stealing, robbery and vandalism, as well as the recovery of stolen property and dangerous weapons.
Dare, on his part, disclosed that vandals had stolen about 1,800 manhole covers along the coastal highway between January and August.
He explained that the criminals broke the reinforced concrete covers protecting the highway’s underground drainage system and removed the steel reinforcement embedded in them for sale.
“Between January and now, about 1,800 manhole covers have been vandalised and stolen. The perpetrators destroy the concrete structures and cart away the iron materials inside them,” Dare said.
Other News
The Federal Controller further disclosed that about one kilometre of clear-view perimeter fencing installed along both sides of the highway had been vandalised and removed.
The fencing, he explained, was designed to serve as a protective barrier between adjoining communities and the highway.
He also disclosed that about 75 directional road signs installed to assist motorists and visitors navigating the route had been stolen.
Dare raised concern over the scale of the vandalism, warning that the activities posed a serious threat to the safety, durability and long-term sustainability of the project.
He said the activities of the vandals had become so brazen that some of them allegedly dug a deep underground tunnel, which they used as a warehouse for stolen materials removed from the construction corridor.
The Federal Ministry of Works described the development as a major setback to the government’s infrastructure development efforts, warning that continued vandalism could increase the cost of the project and expose road users to avoidable dangers.
The ministry said the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, estimated at about N15 trillion ($11 billion), is expected to stretch approximately 700 kilometres through nine coastal states, making it one of the country’s most ambitious infrastructure projects.
Dare announced that trailers would no longer be allowed to park on the coastal highway, while tricycles, illegal U-turns, animal rearing and other activities capable of obstructing the highway would not be tolerated.
He appealed to residents and road users along the corridor to report suspicious activities to security agencies, assuring them that the government was determined to protect the project.
The ministry also commended CP Tijani, police officers deployed along the coastal road corridor and members of the recently inaugurated Coastal Guard for their efforts in protecting the infrastructure.
It said the Federal Government would intensify collaboration with security agencies to identify, arrest and prosecute those involved in the destruction and theft of public infrastructure.
Tijani, who described the development as unacceptable, said the police had declared war on vandals and other persons using the highway for activities outside its intended purpose.
“We have declared war on vandals, truck drivers, tricycle riders as well as those riding bicycles. The coastal highway is not a parking space for trucks, neither is the road meant for rearing of animals.
“The highway is not a place for destitutes, nor is it for rearing of cows. I urge the police to mete out stiff punishment on those arrested to serve as deterrent to others,” he said.
He urged members of the public, community leaders and relevant government agencies to provide credible information that would assist the police in protecting the highway and other critical infrastructure across Lagos.
The latest crackdown comes amid growing concerns over the security of major infrastructure projects as the Federal Government continues construction of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, one of the country’s flagship road projects.

Follow Us on Google
