From Laide Raheem, Abeokuta

Residents of Osuke-Ota Community in Ado-Odo town, Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of Ogun State, have appealed to the Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, to save their community from the siege of notorious suspected land grabbers allegedly led by Elijah Adeogun.

The residents, who stormed the Governor’s Office at Oke Mosan in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, on Wednesday to protest the invasion of their community, said Adeogun and his boys had, on 24 February 2025, unleashed terror on Osuke-Ota in a bid to take over the large expanse of land belonging to the community.

The protesters, armed with placards bearing various inscriptions, alleged that the suspected land grabbers had also shot and killed a resident of the community, Saheed Soboyejo, during the mayhem.

Speaking on behalf of the residents, Oladitan Taofik explained that Osuke-Ota and adjoining communities such as Idimu and Ilasa have witnessed serious attacks by land grabbers who have unleashed mayhem on the residents.

He added that the kingpin of the land grabbers, Adeogun, led hoodlums to force the residents to flee their homes, while those who stood up against him were either maimed or killed.

Oladitan, who noted that since the invasion of his community by suspected land grabbers, scores of residents had fled for fear of being killed, said others who stayed behind are living in panic.

He said that though the police arrested and prosecuted Adeogun for the alleged murder of Soboyejo, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in Ogun State, Oluwasina Ogungbade, SAN, withdrew the charges against him, and the suspect was let off the hook.

He added that “since his release, however, Adeogun has been boasting that he would kill all the residents in order to take over their ancestral land, adding that his connection with people in the corridors of power would not allow anyone to touch him.”

“Our community is under siege as land grabbers led by Elijah Adeogun have been terrorising us. He invaded our community sometime in February this year with sophisticated weapons, such as AK-47 rifles and other dangerous weapons to unleash mayhem. It was during one of these invasions that he shot and killed Saheed Soboyejo and injured several others.

Related News

“He was later arrested and charged to a court of law, but, to our surprise, the Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice in Ogun State called for the withdrawal of the charges against the accused, and he was eventually released. Since then, he has increased his notorious activities in Osuke-Ota, threatening to kill any resident who dares him.

“We are hereby appealing to Governor Dapo Abiodun to wade into this matter, save our people from terrorism, and free Osuke-Ota from the clutches of notorious land grabbers,” Oladitan stated.

Meanwhile, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwasina Ogungbade, SAN, denied shielding Adeogun. “I don’t know how many times I will have to defend myself against unfounded allegations.

“We released a statement last week, and we still stand by it. Those who do not love Ogun State, land grabbers and criminals are out to use the press and some corrupt elements in the police to achieve their aims. We will not allow it. This is the Ministry of Justice and not that of injustice.

“This is the same guy they say I am protecting. I got him arrested in 2022 and locked up by the DSS. We did not know at that time that the allegations against him were trumped up, borne out of land disputes.

“When we realised, we did the proper thing, which was to discontinue the charges. That is what justice is about. They are now making another round of allegations against him.

“The police in Ogun State investigated and found nothing. They rushed to Zone 2 in Lagos, where they have corrupt accomplices in uniform. That is the issue.

“The matter is now being investigated in Abuja. Why are they in a hurry? Why will they not wait for the police to send the file to the Ministry for advice? Mob justice has no place in the criminal justice system of Ogun State.

“It isn’t about me or anyone. The laws protect us all. We will uphold the law as much as we can. That is our sworn duty. We will not be blackmailed. We won’t give in to intimidation,” Ogungbade stated.